Author Topic: Kentucky Tournaments  (Read 48192 times)

Offline robm

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • RobM Studios
    • -
    • Northeast Region
    • RobM Studios
Re: Kentucky Tournaments 2008
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2009, 05:20:51 PM »
Hope to see you GA guys at KY States on June 20th.

Offline RTSmaniac

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • LFG
    • Southeast Region
    • ROOT Online
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2009, 07:57:24 PM »
+1
unfortunatly ill be out of town for a wedding.
This is the way Lackey gave it to me. All hail the power of Lackey!

Offline Mr.Hiatus

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • -
    • Southeast Region
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »
+1
But me and Eric will be there.

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • -
    • East Central Region
Re: Kentucky Tournaments
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
It's been a while since we've held a tournament here at Oakdale, but the time has come.  I am glad to announce that I plan on hosting the
 KY State tournament for 2010,
 and I would appreciate input from those of you who are interested in attending.

Date:
July 17

Definite categories:
Fri (6-9:30pm)           T1-mp                     3 rounds
Fri (9:45-done)          T2-2p / TEAMS         3-4 rounds
Sat (8:30-1pm)          T1-2p                     5 rounds
Sat (1-5pm)              Booster                    3 rounds
Sat (5-6pm)              Awards
Sat (6-done)     ?      Sealed or T2-mp
Sun (2-5pm)      ?      Sealed or T2-mp

Possible categories:
T2-mp and/or Sealed (Instead of not offering these at all, I'm leaning toward putting one at the end on Sat, and the other on Sun afternoon.  That way people can take off at the normal time if they like, or they could stick around to play the others if they really wanted to.)

Costs:
$5 per open category
$20 for Booster (7 packs + TexP)
$5 for food on Sat (doughnut breakfast, pizza lunch)
$10 for Sealed (if we do it)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:00:22 AM by Prof Underwood »

Offline crustpope

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Time for those Reds to SHINE!
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2010, 03:14:42 PM »
Unfortunately, I probably wont be able to make it to the tournament.  Neither date is good for me and I need to focus on other things this summer as well.
This space for rent

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »
Unfortunately, I probably wont be able to make it to the tournament.  Neither date is good for me and I need to focus on other things this summer as well.
Ouch, I was counting on you coming and bringing a group with you.  You'll be missed :(

How about you uthminister, would you be able to come/bring down a group?
Crashfach, would you be able to come/bring up a group?

Offline Crashfach2002

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+145)
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »
+1
I'm pretty sure our church college group is doing something July 17th.  I'll have to check and make sure though.  Also I have to keep tabs on the South East Regional, as I'm going to co-host it.  But I'd love to come and meet you guys up there!

Offline uthminister [BR]

• Youth Minister
  • Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Jesus Loves Gamers!
    • -
    • South Central Region
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2010, 08:51:39 AM »
+1
That will be a little sketchy, but I am about 60% sure I can make it with a group...

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2010, 11:52:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure our church college group is doing something July 17th.  I'll have to check and make sure though.
Just let me know as soon as you find out please :)

That will be a little sketchy, but I am about 60% sure I can make it with a group...
We'd love to have you.  Is the 17th more likely for you than the 3rd?

Offline uthminister [BR]

• Youth Minister
  • Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Jesus Loves Gamers!
    • -
    • South Central Region
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »
+1
Neither is any better than the other...

Offline galadgawyn

• -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2010, 12:56:26 PM »
+1
Your tournament is not listed on the official website list.  Are you still having it?

Not sure if I could make it but if I can ride with Travis or others then it is more likely.

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »
Your tournament is not listed on the official website list.  Are you still having it?

Not sure if I could make it but if I can ride with Travis or others then it is more likely.
Yep, just put the paperwork in the mail room here at school during lunch break today.

I'd of course love to have you come down again, and I'm sure Travis wouldn't mind having another passenger to split gas money with :)

Offline Captain Kirk

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Combo? Yes please.
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #162 on: June 06, 2010, 02:53:40 PM »
+1
I can't make it July 17th, I am out of town that weekend visiting my girlfriend.  So this will be the first year in 4 or 5 years that I haven't attended a state tournament, wow.

Kirk
Friends don't let friends play T1 multi.

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2010, 09:34:47 PM »
I can't make it July 17th, I am out of town that weekend visiting my girlfriend.  So this will be the first year in 4 or 5 years that I haven't attended a state tournament, wow.
Just bring her along :)

If not, then we'll miss you :(

Offline Knight o Time

• Defending the Timelines since 1999!!
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »
+1
Hi Mark,

Please note me as tentative for the KY State tournament.  Need to see if I can join/setup a carpool for it.  At this point, I am looking at coming to the Friday and Saturday activities but coming home Saturday night.

Thanks!

Rod
Freely you have received, freely give...
Matt. 10:8b

"Works well with Lost Souls!!" :)

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2010, 01:31:59 AM »
Please note me as tentative for the KY State tournament.  Need to see if I can join/setup a carpool for it.  At this point, I am looking at coming to the Friday and Saturday activities but coming home Saturday night.
Great to hear from you Rod.  We'll of course be glad to have you :)

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »
KY State Tournament 2010 Results

Closed Deck
     1st - Mark Underwood
     2nd - Dana Shreffler
     3rd - Ian Kratzer

Booster Draft
     1st - Ian Kratzer
     2nd - Mark Underwood
     3rd - Drew Wills

Type 1 - 2 Player
     1st - Mark Underwood
     2nd - Andrew Wills
     3rd - Drew Wills

Type 1 - Multi-Player
     1st - Mark Underwood
     2nd - Andrew Wills
     3rd - Dana Shreffler / Ian Kratzer

Type 1 - TEAMS
     1st - Andrew Wills / Mark Underwood
     2nd - Drew Wills / Ian Kratzer
     3rd - Dana Shreffler / Ragan Rogers

Type 2 - 2 Player
     1st - Mark Underwood
     2nd - Andrew Wills
     3rd - Drew Wills

Type 2 - Multi-Player
     1st - Mark Underwood
     2nd - Drew Wills
     3rd - Andrew Wills

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #167 on: July 20, 2010, 12:24:23 AM »
Prof's Tournament Report (part 1):

Well, we had a much smaller turnout than normal due to a glut of tournaments recently (EC Regional, MW Regional, Cincy District, etc.) that kept our OH guys from being able to come join us.  Also there was a GA State tournament the same weekend that kept our TN guys from being able to come join us.  And with the other KY playgroup moved to NY (Robm), that meant it was just our Oakdale group.  The downside was that I lost a lot of money on this tourney.  The upside was that my playgroup (which is still pretty newbish) had the chance to actually win some events (which they hadn't done at the EC and MW Regionals).  So there was still a good time had by all despite the numbers being down.

Ragan Rogers played in her first tournament ever and ended up placing 3rd in TEAMS with Dana Shreffler.

Dana Shreffler played in his 2nd tournament ever and ended up placing 2nd (Sealed), 3rd (TEAMS), and 3rd (T1-mp).

Ian Kratzer played in his 2nd tournament ever and ended up placing 2nd (TEAMS), 3rd (T1-mp), 3rd (Sealed), and even became the state champion in Booster Draft in his 1st try at the event.

Drew Wills who is still very young despite having played for a while now placed 3rd (Booster), 3rd (T1-2p), 2nd (TEAMS), and even beat his dad to place 2nd in T2-mp.

Andrew Wills who is the only other adult to play Redemption at my school placed 3rd (T2-mp) and 2nd (T2-2p) while playing T2 categories for the first time ever.  He also placed 2nd (T1-mp) and 2nd (T1-2p), and became a state champion in TEAMS.

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »
Prof's Tournament Report (part 2):

I won't go into the details about every event, but here are some of my thoughts that stood out in my memory:

T1-2p:
I was playing a defense heavy deck this tournament, and we had 3 rounds.  My first round was against Drew Wills who quickly jumped to a lead before my defense got a chance to set up.  He got to 4 LSs and I was pulling out some desperate stuff.  I finally was able to lock him out and then waltz in for the win.  The 2nd round was against his dad, Andrew Wills.  He didn't really threaten much on offense, but he actually almost shut down my "invincible" offense late in the game, but I squeaked by for the win again.  The final round was against Ian Kratzer.  He gave me problems on offense and defense, but I was able to get the 3rd win to take the category.

T1-mp:
The first of 2 rounds, Andrew Wills jumped out to a huge lead and held one to win big.  He got to 3 LSs when I was still at 2.  That meant that the only way for me to come back and win the event was to win the last round before he got more than a single LS.  He didn't draw any heroes for a looooong time to start the game which helped me a lot.  Also he had to burn his SoG early taking the only available LS as I was about to save it.  But he did end up taking LS #2.  However, on my last turn, I drew a bunch of cards, played FA to knock him back down to 1 LS, attacked and took LS #3 for myself and played SoG/NJ to win the round and the tournament.  It was intense.

T2-mp:
None of us had ever played this event before, and afterward, I don't think any of us want to ever again.

Booster:
The draft here didn't go as well as it had at my previous tournament (ie. no Mayhem's this time).  I went with an American flag theme and drafted Red, White, and Blue brigades (and added Silver later).  On defense, I just went with Brown.  It turned out that I didn't get much defense, but I felt like my offense was strong enough to be able to get to 5 first.  Once again, the packs that I opened didn't really have anything great in them, but some awesome stuff got passed to me.  The best card that was passed to me was Wall of Protection.  And the TexP pack that was opened by the guy to my right had half a dozen cards or more with either gold or silver borders.  It went around the table and had 11/15 cards picked out of it before the last one (Herod's Dungeon) was chosen.

The first round went well.  I was able to bluff my way into making my defense seem more powerful than it was, and I was able to win the game.  However, Ian Kratzer also had a good game and got to 4 LSs.  The second game I needed to either win again or at least get to 4 LSs myself.  But the wheels came off the cart that game.  1) I only drew 1 EC the entire game (which Ian killed).  2) I only drew 1 LS each turn which stopped me from spreading them around  3) Ian was sitting on my left that game and figured out that my defense was weak, so he took all those LSs.  4) I got to 3 LSs, but Ian was at 4, so I had to take another before he won the game.  Unfortunately, on my turn I again drew 1 LS and no ECs.  So Ian walked in for the victory in that game and therefore also won 1st place in the overall tournament.  Although disappointed that I didn't win, I was really happy for him to win his first event ever :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:00:21 AM by Prof Underwood »

Offline crustpope

• Tournament Host
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2010, 12:44:22 AM »
Prof's Tournament Report (part 2):

T2-mp:
None of us had ever played this event before, and afterward, I don't think any of us want to ever again.

Ha ha! This is awesome....and interesting since you are FORCED to play with defense in type 2 Multi...does defense make a difference?  or might it be that you played this category late at night (as it is often played) and the time made the category rough...?
This space for rent

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2010, 09:12:45 AM »
Ha ha! This is awesome....and interesting since you are FORCED to play with defense in type 2 Multi...does defense make a difference?  or might it be that you played this category late at night (as it is often played) and the time made the category rough...?
Yeah, I actually thought T2-mp would be more fun than T2-2p (because the dreaded combo decks wouldn't work well in a multi-setting) and maybe even more fun than T1-mp (because people would have to have defense).  But I was disappointed.

The first round, one of my opponents couldn't draw an EC or site access for many turns, and therefore just handed out LSs like candy and sat there during his turn.  My other opponent drew some defense, but I was able to snipe it in the territory and walk in on him for the rest of the LSs I needed.  I ended up winning 7-2-0 or something silly like that.

We decided to play a 2nd game for fun just to see if it was a fluke that the event was that boring.  That game I couldn't draw a hero or site access for many turns, so it was my chance to just sit out the game for a while.  Meanwhile, the other 2 player's defenses were totally shutting down their offenses (and getting bigger each turn with experience credit).  Finally an ET+AoCP cleared the table, and everyone started getting LSs quickly.  We basically just went around the table getting LSs at that point, and we ran out of time with the game 4-3-3 with Drew Wills in the lead.

Both rounds had someone just sitting there doing basically nothing for at least half the game.  Both rounds lacked interesting battles.  Both rounds felt completely like the draw determined the winner.  It just wasn't much fun.

Offline crustpope

• Tournament Host
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2011, 10:33:23 PM »
Mark, there is an outside chance that I will be there for your tournament on the 25/26th.  If I do I will be coming down for both days but I would really like to be done on saturday with enough time to get home at a decent hour.  I will have to talk my wife into it but she did something really dumb recently so i have a decent chance of getting this as a way for her to make it up to me.

I will keep you posted
This space for rent

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »
Mark, there is an outside chance that I will be there for your tournament on the 25/26th.  If I do I will be coming down for both days but I would really like to be done on saturday with enough time to get home at a decent hour.
It would be GREAT for you (or any others from North Kentucky) to come join us for this tourney.  Since we're not doing the T2 events or Sealed, we should be able to get everything done before supper :)

At this point, here's the tentative plan:
Fri evening
7:00pm  TEAMS

Sat morning
8:30am  T1-2p (4 rounds - with a 1hr break for Brunch)

12:30pm  Booster Draft (2-3 rounds - unlimited,prophets,patriarchs,apostles,kings,angel wars,priests,TEXP)
12:30pm  T1-mp (2-3 rounds)

Offline crustpope

• Tournament Host
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2011, 10:48:14 AM »
If I come I will need a teammate for teams. so let me know if someone needs a teammate.  I can bring the teams Decks.
This space for rent

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »
If I come I will need a teammate for teams. so let me know if someone needs a teammate.  I can bring the teams Decks.
We actually have several players right now who could easily pilot a TEAMS deck that you bring well.  Of our top players, I expect that TEAMS will shape up something like this:

Andy and Drew
Michael and Ian
David and Myself
Brian and Crustpope

Then there's probably another 1 or 2 teams that could compete as well.  But of the 4 teams listed above, I'd put all their chances of winning about equal.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal