Author Topic: Intrinsic Nature of man: good or evil?  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Minion of Jesus

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • The Wisconsonite, Seeking Retirement
    • -
    • North Central Region
Intrinsic Nature of man: good or evil?
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, EC is the natural way of man. The reason he isn't a card is because we know basically nothing about him.

Do you mean people are naturally evil in the game, or in life?
To the Pain!

-Wesley

Offline Alex_Olijar

• 16plus
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • This guy is my mascot
    • -
    • Northeast Region
Re: Intrinsic Nature of man: good or evil?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, EC is the natural way of man. The reason he isn't a card is because we know basically nothing about him.

Life

Offline Minion of Jesus

• -
    • North Central Region
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:40:53 AM »
+1

Life

That's not exactly true. We didn't start out evil with God making us good; He created us good, and we fell. Thus, we are much more susceptible to sin, but we are not inherently evil. If that was so, the world would be worse then it already is.
To the Pain!

-Wesley

Offline Professoralstad

• Tournament Host, Redemption Elder
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Everything is Awesome!
    • -
    • North Central Region
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
+4
That's not exactly true. We didn't start out evil with God making us good; He created us good, and we fell. Thus, we are much more susceptible to sin, but we are not inherently evil. If that was so, the world would be worse then it already is.

*WARNING* Potentially heated theological debate approaching! Forum Members beware! *WARNING*

Press 1 for more options.

Offline Alex_Olijar

• 16plus
  • This guy is my mascot
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:18:28 AM »
+1

Life

Read the Bible again

Offline jbeers285

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • bravo
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:17:20 PM »
This is headed towards totally depravity  ;D
JMM is a modern day prophet

Offline Minion of Jesus

• -
    • North Central Region
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »

Life

Read the Bible again

Which part, exactly? If we are evil, why do our hearts yearn for eternity, for love, for God? Sure, we are born with original sin, but many unbaptized people are still good people.
To the Pain!

-Wesley

Offline Alex_Olijar

• 16plus
  • This guy is my mascot
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 01:50:40 PM »

Life

Read the Bible again

Which part, exactly? If we are evil, why do our hearts yearn for eternity, for love, for God? Sure, we are born with original sin, but many unbaptized people are still good people.

The whole Bible, not just the parts where Jesus talks. There's no such thing as a good person. Apparently I can't talk about what the Bible says anymore though.

Offline soul seeker

• I find your lack of faith disturbing.
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »
+2
Alex, I encourage you to prove it from a biblical point of view (mostly because I agree with you and I think many are mistaken in this area of Christianity).  Additionally, if he IS reading the Bible from a position that humans are basically good, then he may miss parts that say otherwise and your point of view/learning may help.  I don't know why you feel that you can't use the Bible though.   :scratch:

What I do ask is that you be respectful and not use sarcasm or a condescending tone.*
    *This is a written form of communication, and it is near impossible to wipe out all tone because people will take it how they will...but do your best.  :-)

noob with a medal

Offline Alex_Olijar

• 16plus
  • This guy is my mascot
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 02:39:52 PM »
Alex, I encourage you to prove it from a biblical point of view (mostly because I agree with you and I think many are mistaken in this area of Christianity).  Additionally, if he IS reading the Bible from a position that humans are basically good, then he may miss parts that say otherwise and your point of view/learning may help.  I don't know why you feel that you can't use the Bible though.   :scratch:

What I do ask is that you be respectful and not use sarcasm or a condescending tone.*
    *This is a written form of communication, and it is near impossible to wipe out all tone because people will take it how they will...but do your best.  :-)

I can't talk about it until it goes in OD apparently because we ban all thinking outside of OD or something [sarcasm]. Multiple people wanted it to stop so I couldn't post about the bible. Thank you for moving it to off topic not OD.

Offline soul seeker

• -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »
+1
I didn't think a basic tenant of Christianity (thus for all ages), defended by the Bible, needed to be in OD.  So to me, Off-topic is its proper place.
noob with a medal

browarod

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »
+1
I don't know why you feel that you can't use the Bible though.   :scratch:
I believe it was because an Elder mentioned in the other, pre-split, thread to keep that to just the new card idea. Since this now has its own thread it is perfectly fine to continue discussing it.

I agree with Alex, btw. Because of the sin nature, man is inherently evil and actually does NOT seek for God. I don't know any references offhand but I know that in several places the Bible specifies that God seeks us, not the other way around.

*instaposted by Alex and soul seeker*

Offline TheKarazyvicePresidentRR

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Currently undead
    • -
    • Southeast Region
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »
+2
Man is both. We posses God's image which means we possess his power for good however we also have the seed of evil in us. As we grow this is more evident. Some people are naturally nice and do good things, some aren't. Both are missing a God shaped piece to fill and are looking in different ways to fill it. God can use either of these to do great good as well.

Honestly, Man is chaos, pure and simple.
Not quite a ghost...but not quite not.

TheMarti

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 03:59:54 PM »
+3
No idea why people said that couldn't be somewhere other than OD. Unless this gets disrespectful and heated, it's absolutely fine here.

That being said, I agree with RR. We have both the capability for good and for evil within us (because we are crated in the image of God, but are also fallen people), but we have a propensity toward evil because we're looking for what benefits us the most. That's why Jesus is such a big deal - He helps us fight that propensity with a new heart and mind. We still make mistakes, of course, but it's easier to keep moving forward.

Offline Minion of Jesus

• -
    • North Central Region
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 04:40:45 PM »
If man is intrinsically evil, how come there were good people before the time of Christ? People like David, Noah, Enoch, Moses, etc. all made mistakes in their lives, but they were all good. Also, if man is inherently evil, why wasn't all humanity wiped out instead of sparing Noah? Because he and his family were GOOD enough that they justified the continuation of the human race. Humans became extremely susceptible to temptation because of the fall, but that doesn't make them evil. But, "One-thousand temptations do not make a sin." (Since our souls are immortal, that would mean that our souls are evil. However, our souls are created in the image and likeness of God, so how can they be evil? Furthermore, if we are evil, how can we possibly be worthy of, let alone enter, Heaven? Ultimately, would God create an evil being? Does that seem at all sensible for God, who is all good and all loving? The demons fell, just like we did. But they are pure spirits, and their condition cannot be reversed, otherwise Jesus could have saved them too.
To the Pain!

-Wesley

Chris

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
+1
But Noah's family was good only because of their faith in God. Not because of anything they did. The Bible explicitly says "There is none righteous, no not one." I'm not sure how one can be intrinsically good without being righteous. Goodness can only come from God, and man is separated from God until they accept Him.

Counterpoint: Gandhi.

Offline Redoubter

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »
I cannot say that man is inherently good, because we have all sinned and fall short of the glory (and goodness) of God.  Since we have all sinned, and not a one of us can say that we are blameless, then I would definitely agree that humans are evil if left to their own devices.  However, since we all hear the 'call' and have been granted justification and atonement, the way has been made to achieve righteousness.

Counterpoint: Gandhi.

Counterpoint to your counterpoint: Ghandi was a very influential and thought-provoking man with wonderful ideas on peace (most of which Jesus may have been heard saying as well), but he had his shares of demons as well (just like any man).

Offline Minion of Jesus

• -
    • North Central Region
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 05:55:08 PM »
But a man who strives to be the best person he knows how to be is a good man. For example: The prophet Zoroaster, while a pagan, came very close to an imitation of the Jewish faith, and by all accounts, he was a good man while still a heathen. Granted, he wasn't perfect either, but still. He was comparitivly righteous.
To the Pain!

-Wesley

Offline soul seeker

• -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »
+1
But a man who strives to be the best person he knows how to be is a good man. For example: The prophet Zoroaster, while a pagan, came very close to an imitation of the Jewish faith, and by all accounts, he was a good man while still a heathen. Granted, he wasn't perfect either, but still. He was comparitivly righteous.
1. There is NO comparative righteousness to be obtained.  There is God's law.  No one is good when measured against God's ideal of righteousness.  The Bible is clear that we are sinners bent to be selfish and evil.  It is God's grace and his work within us that brings about good.  Any good done is only because of faith in God.  To do good without God is either classified as nothing (John 15) or worthless (1 Cor. 13 or the book of Ecclesiastes).

2. There are a plethora of examples of the outcome of human devices when left unchecked.  3 famous ones are the Tower of Babel, life during Noah's day pre-flood, and life during the time of the Judges.  I could go on, but those should suffice.

3.  I have a hard time believing examples of supposedly good men/women.  Displaying a human who was "good" as an example implies 2 things.  One, you assume you know EVERYthing about the person (which only God can know the heart of a person and his/her secret actions). Two, "goodness" and "morality" become subjective when one person declares another to be good.
noob with a medal

Offline Alex_Olijar

• 16plus
  • This guy is my mascot
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »
+3
Q: Is man good?
A: No (Romans 3:10, Ecclesiastes 7:20, Psalm 14:3)

Q: But what about good things done by man while unsaved (Gandhi's life, etc)?
A: All things not done from faith are sin. (Romans 14:23)

Offline Minion of Jesus

• -
    • North Central Region
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 10:07:15 AM »
Fair enough, but what about people who have never been exposed to Jesus or his teachings, but who try to be the best people they can possibly be, and do acts of kindness? Would that be considered sin? Or a different kind of faith, an unknowing faith? Then, we come back to this: Was man good before the fall, or always evil? If always evil, WOULD GOD DELIBERATELY MAKE AN EVIL BEING?
To the Pain!

-Wesley

Offline jbeers285

• bravo
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »
+1
Fair enough, but what about people who have never been exposed to Jesus or his teachings, but who try to be the best people they can possibly be, and do acts of kindness? Would that be considered sin? Or a different kind of faith, an unknowing faith? Then, we come back to this: Was man good before the fall, or always evil? If always evil, WOULD GOD DELIBERATELY MAKE AN EVIL BEING?

Romans 1:18-20 answers the unknowing faith questions clearly.

When God was done creating did he say it is kinda good but a little evil or did he say "it is good"?

The power to choose or make choice is not inherently evil. True, free will carries with it authentic consequences.

Evil is not an object it is relational. Dark is abscence  of light  just as "evil" is the abscence good. Evil is not a thing in itself.

Offline Minion of Jesus

• -
    • North Central Region
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 10:35:30 AM »
So, eating a sandwhich without faith is sin? Also, if we are all born evil, what happens to all babies that die before they are baptized? Do they i love you for doing nothing but being born human?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:53:06 AM by Minion of Jesus »
To the Pain!

-Wesley

Offline jbeers285

• bravo
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
So, eating a sandwhich without faith is sin? Also, if we are all born evil, what happens to all babies that die before they are baptized? Do they i love you for doing nothing but being born human?

Yes.
Grace.
That's for God to decide but I think scripture shows us that he would most likely be merciful in this situation.

Offline Red

• Tournament Host
  • It takes time to build the boat.
    • LFG
    • Southeast Region
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »
+1
Man was good pre-fall. An evil being can't be called good. However after the fall man changed, mentally and possibly even genetically.
Ironman 2016 and 2018 Winner.
3rd T1-2P 2018, 3rd T2-2P 2019
I survived the Flood twice.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal