Author Topic: Dawn Treader (Spoilers)  (Read 2516 times)

Warrior_Monk

• Trade Count: (0)
Dawn Treader (Spoilers)
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »
Okay, to start off, I liked the movie as a movie. However, because it was my favorite book of the seven, it fell short. Very short (although, not as short as I expected). They did a great job with Eustace.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline Red Dragon Thorn

• Covenant Games
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
    • -
    • North Central Region
    • Covenant Games
Re: Dawn Treader (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
See, this is why I'm glad that I'm fairly confident that my favorite book will never be made, because it doesn't focus on the main kiddo's. Because I agree that it fell short of the book by a wide margin.
www.covenantgames.com

Warrior_Monk

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 01:19:46 PM »
See, this is why I'm glad that I'm fairly confident that my favorite book will never be made, because it doesn't focus on the main kiddo's. Because I agree that it fell short of the book by a wide margin.
Horse and His Boy?

Offline Red Dragon Thorn

• Covenant Games
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
    • -
    • North Central Region
    • Covenant Games
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
+1
Fo Sho'
www.covenantgames.com

Ironica

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 04:41:10 PM »
Well, it is the next one.

Also, is the white whitch really in it or was that a little holleywood teaser?

Warrior_Monk

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 04:49:33 PM »
She's in the darkness island. A nightmare come true, for sure. I didn't mind that part, although the trailer made me a bit skeptical.

Offline sk

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • I am a leaf on the wind.
    • -
    • Southwest Region
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
Really beautiful camera work.

I agree that the changes were annoying, but the final product somehow felt a bit more in the spirit of the books that the previous films.  I think the new director better understood the tone of the series,  that they aren't epic battle stories, they simply have moments of action.  They got Eustace right (who was portrayed quite well), but I didn't care much for Lucy or Edmund at all, I think the actors have grown too old for the roles.  I overall wanted a longer film with more exploring and character building... and much less sword collecting.  But they got the ending right, so I'm okay with it.

The White Witch's role was very minor and reasonable, IMO.

If another is made (which is unlikely with the weak domestic box office, but possible considering they do well overseas), it will be Silver Chair.  Reason:
Spoiler (hover to show)
"I'm not cheating, I'm just awesome." - Luke Wolfe

Offline crustpope

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Time for those Reds to SHINE!
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
I did not really like the movie.  It stands well as a movie goes, but it has some major plot changes that help it to move along but some of the best parts are only dealt with in a sidewasy manner (such as the "undressing" of Eustace).  The Dark Island played a minor role in the book and is elevated to antagonist in the movie and I think that is a shame.

I would be really surprised if they make any of the other movies since they are so different than the first three.
This space for rent

Warrior_Monk

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 05:52:21 PM »
I did not really like the movie.  It stands well as a movie goes, but it has some major plot changes that help it to move along but some of the best parts are only dealt with in a sidewasy manner (such as the "undressing" of Eustace).  The Dark Island played a minor role in the book and is elevated to antagonist in the movie and I think that is a shame.

I would be really surprised if they make any of the other movies since they are so different than the first three.
I wouldn't be surprised if they make The Silver Chair. Especially since they mentioned Jill and Eustace being able to go back. After that they'll have to decide whether they want to make the rest. I can't really see them doing The Last Battle without doing The Magician's Nephew.

Ironica

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
Can't believe I forgot about the silver chair :p.

The dark island is actually my fav chapter in the book (due to rthe fact that it makes you use your imagination.

So other than them searching for swords and revealing some nightmares, what else is different (event wise)?

Warrior_Monk

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 08:37:31 PM »
+1
So other than them searching for swords and revealing some nightmares, what else is different (event wise)?
Spoiler (hover to show)
I agree that the changes were annoying, but the final product somehow felt a bit more in the spirit of the books that the previous films.  I think the new director better understood the tone of the series,  that they aren't epic battle stories, they simply have moments of action.
Totally agree. The battle scenes were a bit too much in Prince Caspian, although LWW was okay.
If another is made (which is unlikely with the weak domestic box office, but possible considering they do well overseas), it will be Silver Chair.  Reason:
Spoiler (hover to show)
Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline Gabe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • From Moses to the prophets, it's all about Him!
    • -
    • North Central Region
    • Land of Redemption
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 08:46:02 PM »
+1
It's been long enough since I read the books that I don't remember all the details.  That being said I thought this was the best Narnia movie so far.
Have you visited the Land of Redemption today?

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 09:03:52 PM »
+1
Things I missed that were in the book but not in the movie:
The dethroning of Governor Gumpus, much more dialog from the hilarious dufflepods, a more flushed out scene with Aslan de-dragonning Eustace

Things that I didn't really like being added to the movie that weren't in the book:
Eustace staying a dragon across several adventures including fighting the sea serpent, the ubiquitous white witch who they seem to throw into EVERY movie, the whole plot line of finding the 7 swords to break the dark magic, Lucy's character giving into temptation and the whole scene with here and Edmund and Peter.  If this stuff had all been cut out, they could have included the things that I mentioned being left out above.

Things that I thought were great:  The bedroom scene entering the picture, the scene where Lucy is reading the spell book in the library, Eustace's character development, and really a good job overall of creating a world that looked much the way I imagine it reading the books.

Overall, it was a good movie, and I'm glad it was made and that I watched it.  I'll look forward to seeing the Silver Chair (if they ever make it).

Offline Lozo777

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ben Franklin > Lady GaGa
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »
+2
I'm actually surprised that a movie with such a strong Christian message made it to the theaters. I thought was great.. Not enough violence though. If you're going to have a sword how about you use it instead of punching them with it? :P
"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." - Romans 8-37

Warrior_Monk

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 12:37:37 AM »
the ubiquitous white witch who they seem to throw into EVERY movie
Yeah, a bit ticked off at that. In this movie, it was okay, since it was only a nightmare (although all of that was a little bit much anyway), but seeing her in Prince Caspian was frustrating, considering they never got that far.

Ironica

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 02:01:00 AM »
+1
Even though I was upset that they had her in the second movie, edmond's line after destroying the...thingy was one of my fav in the movie.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal