Author Topic: gift ideas  (Read 7556 times)

Offline Master KChief

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Greatness, at any cost.
    • -
    • North Central Region
    • GameStop
gift ideas
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:35:49 PM »
anyone have some really good gift ideas for a significant other? more like a 'get out of the doghouse' kind of gift? :(
"If it weren't for people with bad decision making skills, I'd have to get a real job." - Reynad

Offline DDiceRC

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Redemption New Jersey
    • -
    • Northeast Region
Re: gift ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »
Flowers-delivered to her workplace.
Redemption Curmudgeon
"If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God..." (2 Cor. 5:13a)

Offline Master KChief

• -
    • North Central Region
    • GameStop
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:43:27 PM »
i've done that many times before...it'll prolly look too cliche and might just look like im trying to suck up. anything else like 'whoa-spectacular' that will make her forget shes mad at me?
"If it weren't for people with bad decision making skills, I'd have to get a real job." - Reynad

Offline Red

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • It takes time to build the boat.
    • LFG
    • Southeast Region
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
Can you cook? If not try Chocolate. Or a diamond ring.
Ironman 2016 and 2018 Winner.
3rd T1-2P 2018, 3rd T2-2P 2019
I survived the Flood twice.

Offline The Warrior

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Resident of The Internet.
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »
+1
Bucklers
Wanderer of the Web.

Offline BubbleBoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
    • -
    • North Central Region
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »
The best gift is a personal, sentimentally valuable one.
Use the Mad Bomber to rescue his Province.

Offline Cpt.Jaeger

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+139)
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 09:48:15 PM »
+1
flowers work nice, but you can't go over or under board with it.

If it's not serious, "cheap" AND personal is perfect.

For serious, have lunch, flowers, and/or homemade chocolates delivered to her work. If you don't mind spending a little cash, you could have a single rose delivered every hour during her work day with a short one or two line note complimenting her as if you were right in front of her looking at her.

.... in her mind, your thought and love is more "expensive" than the greenbacks in your back pocket ;)
Player, collector, fan, and friend since 2002.

Offline Master KChief

• -
    • North Central Region
    • GameStop
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »
Can you cook? If not try Chocolate. Or a diamond ring.

no, i cant cook. shes grown tired of the chocolate i buy her (godiva, the best in the world). and i've already bought her a diamond ring in the past (http://www.cactusgamedesign.com/message_boards/index.php?topic=18269.0).

Bucklers

if only she knew what a buckler was, this just might get me out of the doghouse...

any suggestions? :(

For serious, have lunch, flowers, and/or homemade chocolates delivered to her work. If you don't mind spending a little cash, you could have a single rose delivered every hour during her work day with a short one or two line note complimenting her as if you were right in front of her looking at her.

.... in her mind, your thought and love is more "expensive" than the greenbacks in your back pocket ;)

i really liked your train of thought here. and yes, money is no object...im hoping to get on her good side quickly, even if it means shelling out some serious dough. :) keep them coming.

Offline DDiceRC

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Redemption New Jersey
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 09:59:12 PM »
+1
Clean the house while she's out.
Redemption Curmudgeon
"If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God..." (2 Cor. 5:13a)

Offline Red

• Tournament Host
  • It takes time to build the boat.
    • LFG
    • Southeast Region
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
Key us in to what she likes so we can help. EDIT: +1
Ironman 2016 and 2018 Winner.
3rd T1-2P 2018, 3rd T2-2P 2019
I survived the Flood twice.

Offline BubbleBoy

• -
    • North Central Region
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 10:01:42 PM »

any suggestions? :(
Well, I don't know anything about your girlfriend, but if I were you, I would attempt to make or do something for her that she appreciates but that you wouldn't normally do. I really can't go much deeper than that without details, but in short, be original.

P.S. I am 16, and neither have had nor plan to have a girlfriend, so I'm possibly the worst person to take advice from on these boards (although I do watch a lot of movies). :P

Offline Cpt.Jaeger

• Tournament Host
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 10:10:48 PM »
well, the idea should really come from you, if she asks, you don't want to tell her someone else thought it up and you don't wanna lie.

ps- jewelry is a HUGE NO.... just fyi

Offline Master KChief

• -
    • North Central Region
    • GameStop
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 10:21:42 PM »
well, the idea should really come from you, if she asks, you don't want to tell her someone else thought it up and you don't wanna lie.

how come jewelry is a no?

Offline TheKarazyvicePresidentRR

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Currently undead
    • -
    • Southeast Region
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »
Because Jewelry usually tips them off its to get out of trouble. Your girlfriend games doesn't she? Get her a game she has been really wanting. If she doesn't, get her something to help fuel whatever she is passionate about. EG if she loves MMORPGs paying for stuff for her game would be nice, or if she likes tennis a new racket would be nice.
Not quite a ghost...but not quite not.

Offline BubbleBoy

• -
    • North Central Region
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 10:25:55 PM »

how come jewelry is a no?
I will never buy jewelry as a present for my wife. Not only is it extremely expensive, but it is equally impersonal. Depending on what life God leads me into, I might consider making her jewelry, but that is totally different.

Offline SomeKittens

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+10)
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »
Depending on what life God leads me into, I might consider making her jewelry, but that is totally different.
Chain Mail.  Make it yourself, it'll show her that you're willing to spend time on her.

Even if you're not good with cooking, homemade cookies (whatever kind is her favorite) can do wonders.  Find a recipe online
Mind not the ignorant fool on the other side of the screen!-BubbleBoy
Code: [Select]
postcount.add(1);

Offline Master KChief

• -
    • North Central Region
    • GameStop
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 11:07:32 PM »
Because Jewelry usually tips them off its to get out of trouble. Your girlfriend games doesn't she? Get her a game she has been really wanting. If she doesn't, get her something to help fuel whatever she is passionate about. EG if she loves MMORPGs paying for stuff for her game would be nice, or if she likes tennis a new racket would be nice.

ooo, she went golfing today. perhaps golf clubs?

Even if you're not good with cooking, homemade cookies (whatever kind is her favorite) can do wonders.  Find a recipe online

golf clubs and homemade cookies...killer combo!

Warrior_Monk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 11:14:59 PM »

ooo, she went golfing today. perhaps golf clubs?
if that's what you're going with, make it creative. although, golf clubs are extremely expensive...you could however use golf balls and spell out "I'm sorry" or something with them, thus making her forget.

Offline SomeKittens

• Tournament Host
  • Trade Count: (+10)
    • -
    • Northeast Region
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 11:22:45 PM »
+1
You're really looking for something to show her you care, above all.
Mind not the ignorant fool on the other side of the screen!-BubbleBoy
Code: [Select]
postcount.add(1);

Offline Master KChief

• -
    • North Central Region
    • GameStop
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 12:13:04 AM »
yeah, and thats what im having trouble finding.

Offline Cpt.Jaeger

• Tournament Host
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 01:39:31 AM »
+3
Jewelry is a no because you can only give her so many pieces of jewelry. When you do it has to be extremely special and well invested. You cannot skimp out in any way in this genre of gift. Women prefer the sentimental value of their first smaller rock over their second larger one.

It also SCREAMS commitment, so you better be serious if you go that route.

I do a gazillion things for my girlfriend, small gifts, favors, etc scattered sporadically throughout our relationship.
If you want something small and thoughtful, that says "he really thought about this and loves me".....

HERE'S AN IDEA:

1. it doesn't matter if she "likes" it, because she'll LOVE the thought behind it
2. it will make her think about you
3. it won't scare her with the idea of commitment and it won't set her expectations too high
4. it will score MAJOR "AWWWWW!!!" points, which you can trade in for other points later on

Go to a local craft store and buy a piece of balsa wood. carefully carve a small flat heart out of the wood, about the size of a half dollar or quarter and 1/4 inch thick. You can use a pocket knife since balsa is very soft wood. carefully round all of the edges. You want it small enough to wear around a neck, but not so small it will break. then take a 5mm mechanical pencil and write I Love You on the front. When you write apply a little pressure and then go back and retrace the letters. The wood is soft enough that you'll imprint them. Then stain the wood. At this point, you could be done, or you could get a chain to put it on. Your choice.
Presentation is everything. Get a decent, non-brilliant white piece of construction paper, and cut out a small piece (4"x4"). It doesn't have to be square, but should be four-sided. Write a short one paragraph note telling her how much you think about her during your day. USE A SPECIFIC EXAMPLE. then leave it somewhere for her to find when you aren't around. you want her to find it and toy with it for at least an hour before she has a chance to thank you. bingo :)

it should only cost you $20 and an hour, and screams love, thought, and time

Offline Master KChief

• -
    • North Central Region
    • GameStop
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 07:49:06 AM »
man, thats a really awesome idea jaeger. im gonna run by the craft store and see if i can pull this one off!

Offline Smokey

• -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 08:26:52 AM »
FYI, Copy pasted for future reference Jaeger.    ;)

Offline Prof Underwood

• Redemption Elder
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • -
    • East Central Region
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »
+3
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that the best gift you could give her in this situation is NOTHING.

If you give her jewelry or anything else (including the homemade heart necklace) that she will keep forever, then you are basically just giving something that will remind her for the rest of your relationship about that time when she was mad at you because you did whatever dumb thing you did.

The key to a healthy relationship is to be able to constructively resolve conflict.  Giving a present to cover up a problem does not solve the problem.  It's like putting a bandaid over a bullet hole, when the bullet is still inside.  My suggestion here is that you take her out to eat and talk about whatever went wrong.  Come up with a good solution to the situation that will be the plan for what to do in the future.  It should be something that you both are relatively happy with, and which will be a realistic plan.

Then a week later (after this problem is ancient history), then give her a really special present to show her how much you value your relationship and how special she is to you.  Then whenever she sees that present, she'll think of a positive instead of a negative.

Offline Cpt.Jaeger

• Tournament Host
    • -
    • Midwest Region
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 12:24:29 PM »
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that the best gift you could give her in this situation is NOTHING.

If you give her jewelry or anything else (including the homemade heart necklace) that she will keep forever, then you are basically just giving something that will remind her for the rest of your relationship about that time when she was mad at you because you did whatever dumb thing you did.

The key to a healthy relationship is to be able to constructively resolve conflict.  Giving a present to cover up a problem does not solve the problem.  It's like putting a bandaid over a bullet hole, when the bullet is still inside.  My suggestion here is that you take her out to eat and talk about whatever went wrong.  Come up with a good solution to the situation that will be the plan for what to do in the future.  It should be something that you both are relatively happy with, and which will be a realistic plan.

Then a week later (after this problem is ancient history), then give her a really special present to show her how much you value your relationship and how special she is to you.  Then whenever she sees that present, she'll think of a positive instead of a negative.

I forgot about the reason you were doing this, and I have to say I agree with Underwood. You don't want to giver her something to remind her of whatever you did, especially depending on the degree of badness.

I'd say wait a day, and apologize abut the time she thinks you've put it behind you, so she knows your really sorry and still thinking about it. Give her a massage to de stress her, and then wait another two days and do my idea. That way you'll hopefully be forgiven at that point, she will be trying to move past it, and hopefully the heart will shatter the memory of this event into oblivion.

KEY NOTE:
you CANNOT BUY FORGIVENESS WITH ANY TYPE OF ITEM. PERIOD. the forgiveness has to always come at least 2 days before any type of "apology gift". and when you give anyone an apology gift.... YOU DON'T. It's not an apology gift, it's an "I was thinking about you" gift ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal